Monday, January 4, 2010

New Years Eve Gravlax


For the past ten years we have rung in the New Year with close friends in different locations from coast to coast. Our friends live in Chicago and for the past 3 or 4 years they have sought warm climates to escape Chicago’s brutal winter, this year it is Palm Springs.

My husband and I decided to break out of our mold and drive to Palm Springs rather than hop on a flight like we would normally do; we are not road warriors. So December 31, New Years Eve early in the morning we packed up the car and took to the road. Our hostess loves salmon so I decided I would try my hand at making Gravlax to bring along as a hostess gift and for New Years Eve treat.

Gravlax is basically cured salmon; there is nothing better than a thin slice of bread or a nice cracker spread with a little cream cheese topped with a thin slice of salmon and a glass of champagne. Most people whether they know it or not have had Gravlax. I made the Gravlax and it was simply fantastic! The recipe is below; because I am unable to follow a recipe to the letter I added the zest of an orange and it really added to the flavor.

Gravlax
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
1 (3- to 4-pound) salmon, weighed after cleaning and beheading, skin on
3 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 good-size bunch dill, roughly chopped, stems and all
1 Tablespoon spirits: brandy, gin, aquavit, lemon vodka, etc. (I used gin because we didn’t have any vodka, next time I will use vodka because it is more likely that we will have vodka in the house.)

Preparation:
Fillet the salmon or have the fishmonger fillet it for you; the fish need not be scaled.

Lay both halves, skin side down, on a plate. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, and pepper, spread the dill over them, and splash on the spirits. Sandwich the fillets together, tail to tail, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Cover the sandwich with another plate and something that weighs about a pound -- an unopened can of coffee or beans, for example (I used a cast iron pot). Refrigerate.

Open the package every 12 to 24 hours and baste, inside and out, with the accumulated juices. On the second or third day, when the flesh has lost its translucence, slice thinly as you would smoke salmon -- on the bias and without the skin -- and serve with rye bread or pumpernickel, and lemon wedges.

For many years I have wanted to make Gravlax and I finally did before the end of the year and the decade. What a wonderful way to end 2009 and to welcome 2010.

Wishing you all good health, good eats and a prosperous New Year!

3 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

I'm going to read this later.

Hungry Dog said...

The gravlax looks absolutely delicious--thank you for posting the recipe. I am definitely going to give it a try. And happy new year to you too!

Unknown said...

Speaking as two of the fortunate people who had the opportunity to eat the gravlax you prepared, it was absolutely delicious! We also enjoyed it in an omelet with brie.
Looking forward to our next visit.