Saturday, May 22, 2010

huile d'olive - aceite de oliva - olive oil

It’s been a week now and I have been meaning to blog about the delectable olive oil poached halibut I prepared last Saturday but my busy schedule got in the way. A week later I now have time to share this wonderful preparation and more. Leading up to last Saturday I dinned out a few days in a row with a fairly heavy meat and poultry diet so it was time for fish. A trip to the farmers market was in order where I picked up halibut and other ingredients for the evenings meal and the next day. Because I choose halibut I wanted a delicate preparation so I decided to poach the fish in olive oil.

Never having prepared fish this way did not concern me – I have poached fish before in juices so how different could it be. I also, decided that I did not need to spend any time looking up recipes for such a simple preparation. When I returned from the market the first thing I decided to do was to infuse the olive oil with aromatics and let the infused olive oil stand until I was ready to poach the fish.

Infused Olive Oil
1 ½ c. olive oil (you should use as much as it takes to cover your fish)
1 clove garlic
Lemon
Sprig rosemary
Dash red pepper flakes
¼ t. salt & pepper
Tablespoon capers
Spring Onion

When I was ready to prepare the fish later in the day I preheated the oven to 250 and placed the infused olive oil into the oven for 30 minutes or so, cooking is not an exact science. I added the fish to the infused oil and return the dish to the oven for 10 minutes or so - - really that’s all the time it took. After I removed the dish from the oven I kept the lid on until the food was plated. The fish was awesome, light and mellow and almost melted in your mouth like butter! I was so into this preparation that the next night I prepared shrimp using the same method, poaching time about 5 minutes longer – that’s all.

Sunday we were invited to our neighbors for a cook out (more about that later) so I decided to make the Almond Citrus Olive Cake (see blog April 17, 2010). The first time I made this cake it was a hit, I followed the recipe to the letter, something I rarely do. This time I decided to “do it my way” by substituting ¼ of a cup of the olive oil with a blood orange olive oil and I added ¼ teaspoon of pure almond extract and I baked the cake in individual bunt pans. The house smelled so good when the cakes were baking in the oven and our neighbors enjoyed the finished product as much as we did. The cake was so delicious, light almost feather weight with a nice nutty fruity taste.

Olives are fruit as you all know and they are so versatile in sweet or savory dishes.

The moral of this story (blog) is to buy some really great ingredients, trust yourself and experiment and you are bound to achieve greatness!

1 comment:

Hungry Dog said...

I'd like to try fish this way--I'm stealing your recipe! And I love the individual cakes. I think I'll steal that idea too!