Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Rock Fish Confit


The other night I watched Iron Chef as I often do but I don’t usually see anything that I could ever imagine preparing myself. The ingredient for this episode was fish (I don’t remember what kind). The challenger prepared a fish confit for one of his dishes. Yesterday, I planned to prepare rock cod for dinner.
Around dinner time I begin to think about how I might prepare the fish so I began looking in my cupboard, freezer and the refrigerator for ideas. There it was in the refrigerator a partial container of duck fat, the light bulb lite up - - I remembered the Iron Chef preparing a fish confit so I decided to git it a try since I had all of the ingredients.

I have a little herb garden on my patio, with thyme, rosemary, and chives and sage - - I sniped a little thyme and chives to add to the duck fat along with a clove of garlic, then into the oven 175 degrees for 30 minutes. While the fat was heating slowly I begin preparation of my side dish; asparagus and lemon risotto. 30 minutes later I added the fish to the duck fat for about 10 minutes. The fish was like butter, you could hardly pick it up with a fork and meal was rockin!
I hadn’t planned on blogging about this but I was encouraged by a foodie friend that said “how many people have duck fat in the fridge” - - that was my inspiration for this blog. Thank you Hungry Dog!!!!

No comments: