Saturday, August 21, 2010

Aubergine – Eggplant


I like the sound of the French word for eggplant, aubergine, it brings to mind the deep rich purple color of eggplant. Eggplants are members of the Nightshade family. Other members include potatoes, tomatoes and peppers. Despite the fact the culinary world treats eggplants like a vegetable, in biology, an eggplant is a fruit. July through October is eggplant season so dinner Thursday night was a homage to aubergine.

I prepared my own simple version of eggplant parmesan. Starting with one large eggplant, I sliced it, dredged it in floor (with a little salt & pepper), then into an egg bath (3 eggs and 3 tablespoons water) and coated the eggplant in panko. A little trick I learned along the way was to let the eggplant stand for about 30 minutes before moving to the next step in the preparation which was browning the eggplant in a hot skillet with olive oil.

While the coated slices of eggplant was resting I prepared a tomato sauce using can crushed tomatoes, roasted garlic, basil, salt, pepper and red wine. I cooked the sauce for about 20minutes until all of the ingredients melded together, then I blended the sauce so that it with be smooth and full bodied. This preparation would work just as well with any good prepared tomato sauce or using your favorite tomato sauce recipe. My eggplant parmesan is more method than recipe' it is to inspire you to create your own.

After browning the eggplant I placed them in a baking pan, covering the eggplant with sauce and parmesan cheese; I added another slice of eggplant on top with a little sauce and topped it with mozzarella cheese. Into the oven on 350 degrees the dish went for 20 minutes then onto the plate. The eggplant parmesan was served with a mixed green salad with a sherry wine vinaigrette. The texture of the dish was perfect, a little crust on the outside and a nice tender inside.

I love this simple no fuss preparation and it was oh so delicious – my homage to aubergine!

1 comment:

Hungry Dog said...

Looks delicious! I love eggplant, but unfortunately Danny is not a fan, so I don't make it too often. Yours look beautiful!