Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hump Day


Generally Hump Day is Wednesday, the middle of the week, implying that you have to get "over the hump" before you can anticipate the weekend. This past Hump Day took on a special meaning for me. It is not only the anticipation of the weekend it is also anticipation of Wednesday, March 31 my last day on the job! Yes, I am hanging up my suit, closing a chapter and moving on to the next thing whatever it may be.

So Hump Day this week was marked by a lovely lunch at A16 (with one of my favorite people) on Chestnut Street, followed by a visit to the We Olive store next door. When we walked into the restaurant there were people behind the counter/prep station butchering a side of pork. From all appearance A16 uses all of the pig, fascinating to watch! Our lunch was rather early in the day so the dinning room was filled with empty tables. We were seated at the back of the restaurant near the enclosed porch where there was a long communal table being set. Behind me was another long communal table so we assumed that this was going to be a very lively lunch surrounded by large parties.

The room began to fill with a parade of men coming into the restaurant with wine, we later learned that there were two wine merchants’ lunches going on. I saw a familiar face, the bartender from Flour + Water, I buttered him up a little so he would remember me the next time. After a few minutes my lunch companion and I order three dishes to share; Mozzarella burrata with olive oil, sea salt and crostini and prosciutto di Parma; Pork and beef meatballs braised in tomato with basil and grana padano(a house specialty and a favorite of mine), and the Cavatelli with manila clams, calamari, borlotti beans, fennel, basil and tomato. Needless to say we each had a glass of wine to complement our lovely meal. Every morsel was good and so very satisfying. I have never had a bad meal at A16; the food is always fresh, very well seasoned and beautifully prepared in its simplicity.

After leaving the restaurant we were anxious to visit We Olive located a couple of doors down the street. The store was charming, inviting and fragrant, you could taste everything. I needed some olive oil because I was running low; I usually have a variety of olive oils on hand for various preparations. I purchased the blood orange olive oil and an extra virgin for everyday use. Some of the oils are in vats; you fill your bottle and bring your bottle back to be refilled at a discounted price.

Wednesday, March 24, was the best Hump Day Ever!

1 comment:

Hungry Dog said...

Your pictures turned out great! What a fun lunch that was, can't wait to do it again! I can't believe we didn't get in on the wine tasting though...next time we'll have to bat our eyelashes a bit!